Call for Papers
2019 Taipei International Conference on Arbitration and Mediation
The Chinese Arbitration Association, Taipei (CAA) and the Asian Center for WTO & International Health Law and Policy, College of Law, National Taiwan University (ACWH) are to jointly host the “2019 Taipei International Conference on Arbitration and Mediation” on August 15 & 16, 2019 in Taipei, Taiwan. The conference theme is “A New Wave of Reflections and Reforms in International Arbitration and Mediation”. Arbitration experts and scholars are welcome to provide unpublished academic papers and case studies on any one of the following topics:
1. Reform initiatives in international commercial arbitration (such as the Prague Rules comparing to the IBA Rules in the area of evidence taking).
2. Possible reforms of the ICSID Rules.
3. The blurring distinction between international investment arbitration and international commercial arbitration (such as the trend of commercial arbitration centers handling investor-State disputes).
4. The new Convention on the Enforcement of International Settlement Agreements and its corresponding UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Mediation and International Settlement Agreements Resulting from Mediation, 2018.
I. Important Dates (based on Taipei time)
1. Abstract submission deadline: April 10, 2019
2. Abstract acceptance notification: April 20, 2019
3. Full paper submission deadline: May 20, 2019
4. Full paper acceptance notification: June 10, 2019
5. Conference dates: August 15 & 16, 2019
II. Review process
1. The review process will be divided into two stages: the initial stage of review and the final stage of review. “Articles passing the review process” refer to the submitted abstracts/articles that have passed both the initial and final stage of review.
2. The initial stage of review: Applicants will need to submit their abstracts of the papers before the abstract submission deadline. He/she will be informed of the result of initial review on April 20, 2019. The applicants whose abstracts pass the initial stage of review will need to submit their full papers before the full paper submission deadline.
3. The final stage of review: Applicants whose full papers pass the final review process will be invited to present at the conference. They will also be encouraged to submit their papers to the Contemporary Asia Arbitration Journal (CAAJ) for a peer-review process seeking possible publication.
4. Details pertaining to a peer-review process and submission policy of CAAJ can be found at the ACWH website at http://www.ntu.law.acwh.tw/publication.php.
The best paper selected by the Review Committee will be granted an award of USD 500 for his/her airfare to travel to Taipei for the Conference and a certificate jointly issued by the CAA and the ACWH. The author has to present his/her paper at the Conference so as to be qualified for this USD 500 reimbursement. The host will provide local accommodations during the conference. In the case of co-authors, please note that they will share the USD 500 reimbursement and only one author will be provided with the local accommodation.
IV. Conference/Paper Language
All the papers need to be written and presented in English.
V. Guidelines for Abstract / Paper Submission
1. Abstract: The total number of words in the content of an article for submission should be within 500 words.
2. Full paper: The total number of words in the content of an article for submission should be between 5,000 to 10,000 words. Authors are strongly encouraged to use blue book citation for their submissions.
VI. Abstract Submission Format
Prospective author is invited to submit your abstract submission and your curriculum vitae in the format of a Word file or PDF file to email@example.com. The abstract submission must include the following information:
2. Author: Name, contact information, e-mail address
3. Abstracts: A maximum of 500 words
4. Keywords: A maximum of ten keywords
VII. Contact information
Sunny Guan Ye Li (Ms), Asian Center for WTO & International Health Law and Policy College of Law, National Taiwan University College of Law
(Official website: http://www.ntu.law.acwh.tw/)
Tel: +886-2-33663366 ext. 55234
Pei-Jung Li (Ms), Chinese Arbitration Association, Taipei
(Official Website: http://www.arbitration.org.tw/english/index.php)
Tel: +886-2-27078672 ext. 51